BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Final A2 Music Video 'Teenage Dream' by Crystal Rox

Final Digipak Cover

Final Advertisement

Tuesday 1 March 2011

Advertisements in Magazines/Television

Later on in the course we will create a magazine advertisement for the new album by our artist. Looking at other advertisements in a variety of magazines for example, Top of the Pops, Kerrang!, Rock Sound and Look will inspire and help me make my advertisement. I looked in these magazines to see the different advertisements due to the variety of genres, but I will mainly look at pop artists advertisements. All of the images and videos in the post was taken by me, using my i Phone.
Top of the Pops (Pop Magazine)
When I was looking through Top of the Pops magazine I noticed that pop artists do not usually have album advertisements in magazines, the magazine includes a poster of the artist with an interview and then at the bottom of the interview it has a release date for the single and album. This strategy targets the artist to a young audience and it makes the artist seem more approachable. The picture (which was taken from my i Phone) on the left is an example of the artist interview which publicises them, the interview is of Alexis Jordan. The picture on the right is a close up of the album and single release date, which is shown on the bottom of the interview.

Kerrang! (Rock Magazine)
The advertisements in Kerrang! magazine consist of public recommendations of the albums that they love, these albums are usually new releases. I was very interested in this type of advertisement, as it could be said that the recommendation seems more trust worthy. This makes the album appeal to the target audience which is men and women aged 14-21, who read Kerrang! magazine. The article is called 'Lost in the Stereo' and the photograph of the article is shown on the left. In the magazine there are album recommendations from the writers of the magazine. However at the end of each article I noticed that they always recommend the album, even if it did not get a good
recommendation.
The photograph on the right is similar, to what I can imagine a pop artist advertisement would be like because the band 'Royal Republic', used a photograph of them on their album which is only used on the advertisement. A pop artist would use a photograph of the artist as the advertisement to make the buyer recognise the album, and it would draw the readerships attention to the advertisement.
When browsing the magazine I noticed a single advertisement (left) for Inner Party System- American Trash, I think that my advertisement will look like and I feel inspired by. This advertisement reminded me of my album, as it includes gold glitter and my album cover has gold sequence on the front and back cover. The conventions of this advertisement is the use of the gold which suits the electro punk genre. This has showed me that my album cover is very 'modern' and fits in with the different music genres. I have been inspired by this advertisement and I would like to incorporate gold in my advertisement because I really liked the glamorous vibe it gave to my cover.
Rock Sound (Rock Magazine)
The 'Black Sabbath' album is a picture of the album which makes the buyer recognise it when they see it on the shelf. Black Sabbath are in the rock, death metal genre which explains the Grim Reaper on the front cover. The advertisement has a quote "Sabbath's heaviest album just put on a whole lot of weight", the recommendation in the advertisements tempts the readership to buy the album. The conventions of this advertisement is the Grim Reaper who is swearing which shows the rebellion that may appeal to the target audience, the Grim Reaper symbolises Black Sabbaths music which is portrayed as powerful and deadly. The Gothic font in the advertisement suits the genre of Black Sabbath, and the quotes make the fans feel like they are apart of Black Sabbath community, because they understand the humour of the band. The advertisement says what is comes with the deluxe edition "unreleased live material, rare photos and extensive liner notes based on recent band interviews". After looking at this album cover I feel that I need to make my advertisement appeal to my target audience, by using the conventions for a pop advertisement and to tempt the reader by including information about what is in the album.

Look (Fashion Magazine)
I found it difficult to find a pop advertisement in magazines so I thought about advertisements in fashion magazines, as many pop artist target a mainstream audience by selling their product, campaigns or interviews. In the magazine that I was looking at Beyonce had an advertisement for her perfume 'Heat', Beyonce targets women by her simplistic look with natural make up and she targets men by the low cut dress. And the bottom of the perfume advertisement I noticed that there an advertisement for her album (right), this shows that pop artist advertise there albums through their merchandise.

Television Adverts
Whilst I was watching Glee on E4 an advertisement for Jessie J new album which is out now, I found this very interesting as it shows that pop artists use television programmes to target their audience. The advert included Jessie J's two most popular songs and in every shot in the advert is of Jessie J. This shows the importance of the different medias such as, television, internet and magazines whilst promoting an album. I filmed the advert (below) using my iPhone.

Also, on the same channel there was another advertisement for Clare Maguire, a new artist. The adverts had some shots from her recent music video and it contained quotes from critics of Clare. The advert is shown below.

0 comments: